These are difficult, unprecedented days. Psalm 55 says ‘Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you.’ We need to take this to heart especially when we feel overwhelmed. We may feel unsure, but we have hope in Christ.
Following new guidance from the government and the Church of England, as vicar and churchwardens of St Barnabas, we met this morning and agreed for following:
- With great regret, all public worship and church activities are suspended until further notice. You can find more details from this letter from Archbishops Justin and Sentamu here: https://www.churchofengland.org/more/media-centre/news/archbishops-call-church-england-become-radically-different-public-worship) This means there will NOT be communion on Wednesdays, starting from tomorrow, 18th March, nor will there be public worship on Sundays, starting from 22 March.
- ‘Immeasurably More’ on 28 March has been postponed. It will still happen, but we cannot yet give a date.
- However prayer and worship will continue and are crucial in these days. Daily prayer will be taking place in St Barnabas. You will not be able physically to attend the daily prayer.
- A short act of worship will be live-streamed from church this coming Sunday. We plan to offer a growing diet of worship online. You will not be able physically to attend the live-streamed worship.
In addition, we are creating four ‘taskgroups’:
- Pastoral Taskgroup, led by David and Lindsey Goodhew, to oversee care for all members of the church, especially the most vulnerable
- Children, Young People & Families Taskgroup, led by Mark Walley, to oversee the support and Christian nurture of children and families who are part of St Barnabas
- Social Action Taskgroup, led by Lindsey Goodhew, to oversee support for vulnerable people in the wider community via Foodbank and other agencies
- IT Taskgroup, led by David Goodhew and Mark Walley, to oversee enhanced use of IT in church life in coming months
Church life will be overseen in the immediate future by the churchwardens and vicar meeting regularly together. If you have any concerns, whether about the church or specific individuals, please get in touch with us – details below.
You are much in our prayers, please keep us in yours.
David Goodhew – 01642 817306 or email@example.com
Mel Downs – firstname.lastname@example.org
Graeme Malyon – email@example.com